tiistai 6. tammikuuta 2015

Banished, The first winter

I got Banished as a christmas present and I have to say that it has something familiar. When I was younger, I loved The Settlers. It was so fun to watch how small characters does what you want them to do and now Banished seemed similar. Except there weren't humour on it nor neighbours.

If you want to build, this is game for you.

The game begins from the spring. You have group of people who has left from their homeland. Only having some gears with them. Of course amount of gears depends what difficulty you're using. I decided to play my test run using easy level so that I will learn how game works even. You need to learn basics quickly and make people to work. Autumn arrives soon and if you are not prepared there will be a lot of corpses then. 

I noticed that you need to make sure having enough firewood and food before winter comes. I made some bad mistakes on my first game so after few years I caused starvation to my folk. It  wasn't very nice to watch when half of the people died at the very same year. Experience was more intensive since game gives name to all the villagers so I saw how they died one by one.. At least on Settlers I just had workers and soldiers.


Nathon lived alone 10 years until Trish was old enough to marry him. Starvation killed more women than men.

Finally Nathon had that big family he had wanted but still every year was mostly surviving.

And yes.. even I tried to survive from the years after starvation had a lot of food village didn't recover from that. My first game wasn't anything but to survive year after year allways having problems with ingredients.. when I didn't have enough firewood, when iron was missing so that smith was unable to make tools. So after all the first game was catastroph! Even I also noticed that families can grows even there wouldn't be marriages:

Krisella ended up to be widow during starvation.. but still she gave birth to two children even family did not have father.

But truth is that there were hunter Mari living next to Krisella. He never got married but perhaps didn't spend all nights at home..


But what I thought about the game? I find it interesting. Villagers who has names makes it somehow more personal one. Game is done nicely after testing it about 14 hours but selection for the houses isn't very wide. I believe this is game what I play every now and then but between games I will need breaks since so far game hasn't offered too much excitment or variations. I will tell late more about the gaming mechanics itself.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti